Program Areas: General Counselling Program
Status: Part-time employee (5 hours/week)
Level: Level 5
Duties: As part of a new quick access walk in service (evening and weekend) counsellor duties include:
- Accepting referrals from hospital emergency departments and /or other service providers.
- Providing direct services including assessment, treatment and referrals for individuals, couples and families in crisis or experiencing mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, addictions, violence against women, suicidal ideation, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Maintaining accurate case records and statistical data as required by the program and the agency.
- Participating in supervisory and peer consultation sessions.
- Working one evening a week and Saturdays.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications: Masters in Social Work (M.S.W.), or equivalent degree.
- Membership in the College of Social Workers, or equivalent professional organization; must meet the competency standards for counsellors as outlined in the standards of the Controlled Act of Psychotherapy, 2012.
- Bilingualism preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of counselling experience including the following areas:
- Identifying risk factors and completing assessments.
- Providing brief services to individuals, couples and families based on the assessment of client needs and the planned counselling goals established.
- Providing referrals to additional resources and collateral collaboration for clients, as required.
- Applying professional standards and ethical guidelines for social workers and counsellors.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills for basic computer functions related to case recordings and internal / external communication.
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural experience an asset
- Demonstrated experience with LGBTQ families an asset
Position begins: May, 2015 (tentative date)
Apply by: February 13, 2015
Apply to: Mark MacAulay, Director, Counselling Programs, 312 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4X5
Telephone: 613-725-3601 x237